The market had another bullish today, but on horrifically low volume. What does this mean? Well I am certainly not a market expert, but I would suggest that all the “smart” and “big” money that will move the market is on the sidelines until the Fed speaks tomorrow. Even then, I don’t expect roaring volume, but I would definitely expect a pop higher than the recent anemic volume action. Anyway, I’m getting slightly ahead of myself.
Today we break out of a triangle (yay!) that’s been forming for the past month or so. We closed above my target entry, but I did not take any market close trades today. As mentioned before, we closed on weak volume despite the break out. However, oscillators did support the bullish move. There isn’t a whole lot else to say so here is my chart:
I’m going to talk about my real account and yesterday’s picks before I talk about my predictions for tomorrow, so here we go:
REAL ACCOUNT ACTION:
$VZ: CLOSED 5% LOSS Well hooray for me. VZ recovered from it’s down day yesterday with a nice bullish candle. Volume was okay, and we closed above the 50SMA, but we fell short of closing above yesterday’s high. I really wanted to stay in this trade, but given how I shouldn’t have been in it at all, I cut my loss (5%) loss which really helped my account. If we didn’t have the FED talking tomorrow, I may have just closed out 3 options and held on to two, but I didn’t want to gamble. The loss is disappointing, but not nearly as bad as what it was (25%) or what it could have been.
$JNJ: ENTERED I think this is a strong overall stock and I took a bullish entry once we closed above today’s 15min candle. I’m currently up a whopping 1%. There’s not much to say about this one other than the fact that I believe it is still bullish and I plan on taking a small profit prior to the FED speaking tomorrow (I just gave away my prediction for tomorrow!). Either way, my stop will be tight and I don’t plan to hold through the FED announcement.
$FCX: STILL IN This bugger of a stock is still not cooporating with me although I am getting closer and closer to my target. I will end up eeking out about a 5% profit which really has not been worth the headache. However, I’d rather have a 5% profit than any sort of loss. My position is small, so I plan on tightening my gap and holding until either it or my target is reached. I will hold through the FED announcement.
IF YOU TOOK MY ADVICE:
Today would have been an excellent day for people listening to my 15min advice:
$JNJ was a 15min entry. You’d be up 1%. Nothing special
$AMZN: In at 280.31. Closed at 281.74. Max: 282.90 Nice profit
$DDD: You never would have gotten triggered in. Good trade to avoid today.
$PHM: We did not close above our entry. Would not have been triggered.
$AAPL: We did not closed below our entry. No trade.
$AEO: We did not closed below our entry. No trade.
$DIS: You would have gotten triggered in at the end of the day. I would sell tomorrow on a pop.
$HAL: You would have gotten triggered in at the end of the day. I would sell tomorrow on a pop.
$JCP: We did not closed below our entry. No trade.
$NFLX: We would not have gotten triggered. No trade. Good one to avoid today.
$SNDK: We would have entered at 61.79. Closed at 63.05. High: 63.26. Nice profit!
$Z: We would have gotten in at 56.11. Closed at 56.73. High: 57.50. Could have been a nice profit or an okay one depending on if you let the trade run or cut near the peak. As mentioned, though, this one is risky since it is a low volume stock.
$TGT: Entry at 69.97. Closed at 70.16. This wouldn’t have been a good day trade. Perhaps we will be up tomorrow morning.
$TSLA: Entry at 102.50 with a close of 103.42 and a high of 103.98. Not a bad trade!
$COST: We did not close above my entry.
That was 15 stock picks. 5 trades were profitable, with 1 being neutral. 2 trades you would have gotten triggered into and will have to wait to see until tomorrow on how they shape up. 7 trade set-ups allowed you to avoid negative trades. Not a bad day at all!
As I alluded to before, I believe the bullish trend is going to continue tomorrow on low volume. I don’t think it will be huge volume, but i think we will be up 25 to 30 points in the morning and maybe drift up to 50 or 70 by the time the Fed talks. At that point, it’s anyone’s guess, but I would assume that we will give up those gains and may even turn red for the day after the Fed talks, but that’s not even a gut feeling. I honestly have no idea what’s going to happen, that is my modest and very shaky prediction. My plan is to take profits on trades prior to the Fed speaking then only enter end of day trades if they meet my entry criteria.
Happy Trading and best of luck. Please feel free to post any questions or comments!